Take your seat for TNT Sports

Popular Sports
All Sports
Show All

Welcome to TNT Sports

TNT Sports is the new home of Eurosport bringing together all the same great content in one place

Stefanos Tsitsipas withdraws from Laver Cup due to injury in blow to Team Europe after Holger Rune pulls out

James Walker-Roberts

Published 20/09/2023 at 08:19 GMT+1

Team Europe will be without world No. 5 Stefanos Tsitsipas at the 2023 Laver Cup after he withdrew due to injury. Tsitsipas, who played for Greece at the Davis Cup, has been replaced in the team by 19-year-old Arthur Fils. Team Europe are also without Holger Rune after he pulled out with a back problem, meaning world No. 6 Andrey Rublev will be their leading singles player.

'Very exciting' - Federer pumped for 'superstar combinations' at Laver Cup

Video credit: SNTV

Stefanos Tsitsipas has pulled out of the Laver Cup due to injury in another blow to Team Europe’s chances.
Team Europe had already seen world No. 4 Holger Rune withdraw, and have now lost their next highest-ranked player in world No. 5 Tsitsipas.
Tsitsipas has been replaced in the team by 19-year-old Arthur Fils.
World No. 6 Andrey Rublev will now be the top-ranked singles player on Team Europe, and will be joined by Casper Ruud, Hubert Hurkacz, Alejandro Davidovich Fokina, Gael Monfils and Fils.
Fils has had a breakthrough season on tour, reaching a career-high No. 44 in the world rankings and winning his first title in May.
Tsitsipas’ withdrawal comes after a difficult summer that saw him win two matches across Toronto, Cincinnati and the US Open. He also couldn’t prevent Greece losing to Slovakia in the Davis Cup last week.
Rune pulled out due to a back injury and was replaced by Davidovich Fokina.
“As I am in treatment with my back, it’s not possible for me to play Laver Cup next week,” said Rune on social media.
“I would have loved to join the fight to get the trophy back to Europe and I will support my team-mates from a distance.”
Team Europe will be looking to win back the Laver Cup after Team World claimed victory for the first time last year.
The event starts on September 22 and will be shown exclusively live across Europe on Eurosport and discovery+.
Roger Federer, who co-founded the Laver Cup, will be watching in Vancouver and is excited to see some “superstar combinations” in the doubles.
“I’m very happy and pumped up to be here. It’s going to be short and sweet, three full days, action-packed," he said.
“I get very excited about Laver Cup doubles because there are usually teams that we haven’t seen in the past, so I would like to maybe see Hurkacz and Rublev play together.
“On the Team World side, there are tons of doubles teams with Ben Shelton, Frances Tiafoe and Taylor Fritz... I just like superstar combinations.”
- - -
Stream and watch the 2023 Laver Cup exclusively live across Europe on Eurosport and discovery+
Share this article
Related Topics
Advertisement
Advertisement