Take your seat for TNT Sports

Popular Sports
All Sports
Show All

Welcome to TNT Sports

TNT Sports is the new home of Eurosport bringing together all the same great content in one place

Rafael Nadal’s Slam credentials questioned ahead of Australian Open by Rick Macci - 'Don’t think he’s a contender’

James Hilsum

Updated 01/12/2023 at 17:49 GMT

Rafael Nadal has announced his return to tennis and seems on track to feature at the Australian Open in January. However, legendary coach Rick Macci is doubting the impact the 22-time Grand Slam champion could have at the tournament. Macci, who has previously coached the Williams sisters, Maria Sharapova and Andy Roddick, believes Nadal can no longer considered to be one of the favourites.

Nadal ‘still in pain’ and does not know if he will return at Australian Open

Video credit: SNTV

Rafael Nadal's capability to win another Grand Slam title has been questioned by legendary coach Rick Macci, as the Spaniard announced his upcoming return to tennis.
Nadal has endured an injured-blighted 2023, and has not featured on the court since a shock second-round exit to Mackenzie McDonald in Melbourne at the start of the year.
The 22-time slam champion suffered a hip injury in that match, subsequently missing the remaining three majors of the year and seeing Novak Djokovic overtake his Grand Slam record.
But he will make his comeback in Brisbane, after revealing the news on social media on Friday.
In light of the Spaniard’s turbulent year, Macci - the former coach of Serena and Venus Williams - believes that Nadal no longer holds the same fear factor.
“As far as Rafa coming back, as you get older, you lose a little mobility and people aren’t afraid when they know you’re vulnerable,” Macci told Tennis Infinity.
“There’s not that much difference between the guys at the top and then the next tier, and when they know they have a chance, that’s a whole different thing, even on clay.
picture

'We are waiting for Rafa desperately' - Corretja on Nadal's long-awaited return to tennis

Video credit: TNT Sports

“Where before against Rafa, he’s 112-3 on clay [at Roland Garros]. The match was over before it even started. You knew you weren’t going to beat the guy more than likely.
“So that being said, I wish Rafa all the best, but he’s not at the exact same level he was before so I don’t think he’s a contender to win a Slam. I think he can be competitive and I think he’s a rough out for anybody on clay, but it depends on his health.”
Nadal, after a period of caution over his recuperation, recently had been more bullish about his physical state.
picture

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JANUARY 18: Rafael Nadal of Spain returns to the court after a medical time out in their round two singles match against Mackenzie McDonald of the United States during day three of the 2023 Australian Open at Melbourne Park on Janua

Image credit: Getty Images

The Spaniard said: “Until now, I didn’t know if I would ever play tennis again and now I think so. What has changed from a few weeks ago to now is that now I know that I am going to play tennis again.
“I didn’t know it before, but now, honestly, I know it because the evolution is positive. Big steps have been taken lately. I’m not yet ready to say where. When I know, I will be the first to say it. It’s a good period of my life. It’s a step forward, without a doubt, and it means a lot.”
A report in Spanish outlet Cadena SER said that Nadal would be heading to his academy in Kuwait in early December as he steps up preparations for the first slam of the year.
After a year of inaction, Nadal has slumped down to 663rd in the ATP men’s singles rankings after being unable to amass any further ranking points since a first-round win over Jack Draper in this year’s Australian Open.
- - -
Stream top tennis action, including the 2024 Australian Open, live on discovery+, the Eurosport app and at Eurosport.com.
Share this article
Related Topics
Advertisement
Advertisement