TNT Sports
Boro fans stabbed in Rome
By
Published 15/03/2006 at 07:41 GMT
At least three Middlesbrough supporters were stabbed during clashes with rival fans and baton-wielding police in central Rome, British police said on Wednesday, blaming the violence on organised gangs of local hooligans.
Eurosport
Image credit: TNT Sports
The trouble flared late on Tuesday in Campo dei Fiori, a popular square for late-night revellers in central Rome, where Middlesbrough fans were drinking ahead of Wednesday's UEFA Cup game against AS Roma.
"Trouble broke out in a square where up to 200 Middlesbrough supporters, some in family groups, were drinking in two bars," said Middlesbrough's Cleveland police, which had officers in Rome at the time.
"An apparently organised gang of Italian thugs, their faces covered by masks and bandanas, targeted one bar called The Drunken Ship. A lighted flare was thrown into the bar and other flares set off in the square."
Most fans fled to safety but some did retaliate, British police said.
"There was a fight with tables, chairs and bottles being thrown," said Superintendent Steve Swales of Cleveland police, who was in Rome. "Police were called to the scene and they broke up the fighting with their batons."
British police said three people had been stabbed including a 39-year-old who had wounds to his back and chest and underwent an operation overnight. His condition was not considered to be life threatening.
According to Italian newswire ANSA, 13 British fans and two Italian police officers were treated in hospital. It said five British fans had stab wounds, variously to their backs, chests, heads and buttocks.
There were no initial reports of arrests.
"I would appeal to everyone to stay calm," Swales said. Middlesbrough won the first leg of their last 16 tie against Roma 1-0 at the Riverside on March 9.
Advertisement
Advertisement