Take your seat for TNT Sports

Popular Sports
All Sports
Show All

Welcome to TNT Sports

TNT Sports is the new home of Eurosport bringing together all the same great content in one place

Antonio Conte on his future after Champions League defeat - 'They might sack me before the end of the season'

Alexander Netherton

Updated 09/03/2023 at 08:46 GMT

Tottenham were unable to overcome a 1-0 deficit from the first leg against AC Milan in their Champions League Round of 16 second-leg match on Wednesday night in North London. A goalless draw saw Antonio Conte's men suffer another cup exit, but speaking after the match, the Italian was measured with his thoughts while admitting his players could perform better.

Ten Hag backs 'important' Fernandes to continue as Man Utd captain

Video credit: SNTV

Tottenham manager Antonio Conte says the club "might even sack me before the end of the season" following their Champions League exit as they lost 1-0 on aggregate to AC Milan.
The Italian manager stayed in the dressing room for around half an hour before appearing on BT Sport to discuss the game, after suffering two cup defeats in the space of seven days.
Last week Conte's men lost 1-0 to Championship side Sheffield United in the FA Cup, and defeat on Wednesday night against Milan means they now have no chance of collecting any silverware this season.
With Conte's contract due to expire at the end of the season and the club's results inconsistent, speculation will likely now mount over his future.
Discussing the performance against Milan, Conte said: “What happened is that these are tough games and we are not able to score.
“The game was in the balance then if you ask me, in a game like this - were we really dangerous? No. We can do much better offensively."
Despite that, he offered warm words for the players' efforts.
He continued: "I can’t tell you anything negative about the commitment of the players.
"I think they gave everything from the start until the end and we finished the game with 10 men.
"If I have to see a positive to the situation, it’s that last season we played Europa Conference League and we weren’t able to get past the group stage.
"This is a step forward but for sure it was not enough and we weren’t competitive enough.”
When speaking to Italian TV, Conte added: "My contract expires in June. We will see.
"They might sack me even before the end of the season, who knows, maybe they are disappointed."
Share this article
Advertisement
Advertisement