Take your seat for TNT Sports

Popular Sports
All Sports
Show All

Welcome to TNT Sports

TNT Sports is the new home of Eurosport bringing together all the same great content in one place

Frank Warren appeals to WBA over Daniel Dubois defeat to Oleksandr Usyk following low blow controversy

The Editorial Team

Published 06/09/2023 at 17:25 GMT+1

On August 26, Oleksandr Usyk emerged victorious after his ninth-round stoppage in Wroclaw, Poland, against his British mandatory challenger, Daniel Dubois. The result was beset by controversy after Dubois appeared to have left Usyk unable to recover from a brutal body shot, but instead referee Luis Pabon ruled the punch to be a low blow, allowing Usyk time to recover.

Low blow or 'on the border'? Watch Usyk v Dubois controversy from all angles

Video credit: TNT Sports

Daniel Dubois’ promoter Frank Warren has officially lodged an appeal to the WBA over the Englishman's defeat to Oleksandr Usyk last month which came after a controversial low blow decision.
The 26-year-old struck the Ukrainian unified IBF, WBO and WBA world champion with a fierce shot on the waistband of his shorts in the fifth round.
Usyk was left on all fours and looked to be in real trouble, with some observers waiting for a count from the referee Luis Pabon.
Instead Pabon indicated that he felt Dubois’ punch was illegally low, and gave Usyk several minutes to recover.
Dubois admitted after the fight that the decision had upset his momentum, and Usyk subsequently sent Dubois to the canvas twice, with a right-hander in the ninth bringing things to a close.
There is no mandatory rematch clause to be exercised, and in the immediate aftermath Dubois said he had been "robbed".
Queensberry Promotions chief Warren indicated he would appeal to have the result overturned, and a second fight secured.
picture

'Right on the borderline!' - Watch low-blow controversy from Dubois-Usyk title fight

Video credit: TNT Sports

The WBA acknowledged they had received the appeal in a statement they published on Wednesday, and said: "Any decision made regarding this situation will be made under WBA rules and communicated in a timely and appropriate manner."
In the aftermath of the fight, various fighters, industry figures and referees have had their say on their interpretation of the rules regarding low blows, with TNT Sports' Frank Bunce reckoning the referee could have done more at the start of the fight to explain the rules around low blows.
picture

'They'll be pushing for a rematch' - Frampton, Bunce discuss controversial low blow call in Usyk

Video credit: TNT Sports

Assuming the appeal does not succeed, Usyk will likely now pursue an undisputed match-up with Tyson Fury, after the WBC champion’s bout with Francis Ngannou on October 28 in Saudi Arabia.
picture

Highlights: Usyk stops Dubois after low-blow controversy

Video credit: TNT Sports

His next mandatory challenger is from the IBF, Filip Hrgovic, with Usyk's manager Egis Klimas saying that the Croatian "will be next" if the Fury fight does not go ahead.
- - -
TNT Sports presents the premium live sports rights previously carried by BT Sport including the Premier League, UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League, UEFA Conference League, Gallagher Premiership Rugby, Heineken Champions Cup, EPCR Challenge Cup, MotoGP, Cricket, UFC, Boxing and WWE. The streaming home for TNT Sports in the UK is discovery+, where fans can enjoy a subscription that includes TNT Sports, Eurosport and entertainment in one destination. You can also watch TNT Sports through BT, EE, Sky, and Virgin Media
Share this article
Related Topics
Advertisement
Advertisement