Anthony Joshua won’t ‘waste time’ on ‘dream’ Deontay Wilder fight, focuses on Dillian Whyte rematch
/dnl.tntsports.co.uk/sd/img/placeholder/tnt_logo_1x1.png)
Updated 11/07/2023 at 09:34 GMT+1
Anthony Joshua shut down claims that the former world heavyweight champion would face Deontay Wilder if he beats Dillian Whyte in the pairs’ rematch but admitted Wilder is part of his “dream” trio of fights. Joshua does not see Whyte as a rival, but said their meeting is “the reality”. He said: “I don't waste my time waiting for people. Dillian is a solid, credible opponent."
'The best boxing fight for Ngannou right now would be Wilder' - Helwani exclusive
Video credit: TNT Sports
Former two-time unified world heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua says he will not “waste his time” on Deontay Wilder as he prepares for a rematch with Dillian Whyte.
Eight years on from their bitterly-contested fight in December 2015, which Joshua won by knockout, the Brit and Whyte will face off once more on August 12.
Joshua, 33, has told the media that they can “forget” about the prospect of him facing Deontay Wilder if he beats Whyte, who he does not see as a rival.
"I don't really look at Dillian as a rival," he said at a news conference on Monday. "Just another body. A lot of people hate on me. I don't look on Dillian as a rival. I just watch myself."
"Forget Wilder, them lot have been doing my head in for so many years. Even with [Tyson] Fury.
"I don't waste my time waiting for people. Dillian is a solid, credible opponent."
However, Joshua told Sky Sports that Wilder is part of a dream trio of opponents as he looks to rediscover his devastating form in the heavyweight division.
Wilder, along with Tyson Fury and Whyte would be Joshua’s ideal line-up, and he expressed irritation that an undisputed bout with Fury failed to materialise.
"I'm not disappointed. That's just the reality that we live in. That's the reality,” he revealed. "Unfortunately it didn't happen, but I'm not disappointed because we know why. People are starting to see.
"This is just how boxing goes sometimes. People are just...it's just a shame.
"But it is what it is, none of my business. If that was me, I would have gone in there and fought, but it's not me so I can't really comment on another man's decisions.
"Yeah, it would be [his dream scenario to fight Whyte, Wilder, and then Fury]. But dreams are fake. This is reality."
Joshua gave a one-word answer when asked if he could beat all three: “Yes.”
But it’s Whyte up first for Joshua, who believes the 35-year-old is operating in the top 15 of the division.
"Dillian fights with pride. He's fighting for his pride. And I think that's got him really far," he said. "And the thing is he is a tough competitor. People try and separate the gulf in class so far that they forget that these guys still have a lot of talent and are dangerous.
"Dillian is one of the top heavyweights in the division. He's top 10, top 15, that's serious. You're fighting the best.
"You've got to be serious because even in the top 15 and heavyweight boxing, it takes one punch. So being a top 15 is one punch away from being No 1."
/origin-imgresizer.tntsports.io/2023/07/11/3742049-76130908-2560-1440.jpg)
LONDON, ENGLAND - JULY 10: Anthony Joshua and Dillian Whyte face off at their press conference announcing their upcoming fight against Dillian Whyte, on July 10, 2023 in London, England. (Photo by Mark Robinson/Matchroom Boxing via Getty Images)
Image credit: TNT Sports
On his upcoming test against Joshua, Whyte said: "I just prepare for the best version of him.
"I have the power to take anyone out. I'm focusing on the victory. Knockout comes, it comes.
“I am a dog and am always looking to bite.”
Whyte also claimed he has “no hate” towards Joshua during the pairs’ calm news conference, a far cry from the fireworks that were on display during their last pre-fight meeting.
Share this article
Related Topics
Advertisement
Advertisement